Friday, August 9, 2013

The Priceless Gift of Family


Since I can remember, I have been unwillingly entwined with the inescapable web that is the Catholic religion. It began when I started elementary, forced into catholic school and continued even after I joined a public high school in the form of Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, more commonly referred as CCD. Though over the years the church has left a sour taste in my mouth someone has kept me from calling myself an Atheist and stick with the less conventional “non-practicing” Catholic. That horrifyingly brilliant woman is my grandmother. Nani, my family calls her, has inspired me in astronomical ways not just with her actions but also surprisingly with her dedication to her faith. While the rest of the family doesn’t attend church every Sunday she rises before daybreak and strolls down the algid San Francisco streets to light a candle for my late grandfather. A simple ritual, but to her it’s everything. Even when she is miles away from her church she finds some method of paying respect to him and her God. This small practice keeps the fires of hope alive, burning deep within her being that she will reunite with her husband, my grandfather, in the everlasting kingdom.
Nani considers herself a practicing Catholic not because she directly follows the bible but because she absorbs the principles and responsibilities of the text and applies them to her everyday life. When her church held petitions in front of mass to achieve signatures opposing LGBT rights she slapped the priest on the wrist, an inexcusable assault on the holy man, but necessary because she was disgusted by the way her fellow believers were acting. The code she lives by is not something that is documented but spiritualized and unwritten between her and God. And like her code the creed is not the same aged scripture that is recited every mass but the shadowed example of the code created by her and her maker. Her meaning, her life, her purpose is more than just a golden trimmed book but the actions applied from lessons learned from the Holy Bible and everyday occurrences.
Unlike Sunday mass, my family and I spend every Christmas and Easter together attending the extended ceremonies that take place on the special occasions. My grandmother leads the prayer before every meal and insists the food is untouched until she is done. She also bakes her famous Yorkshire puddings that also make everyone feel at home. During the Christmas mass in particular Nani again lights a candle for my grandfather but also lights a second. A few years back I asked her why she took the time to light two and she looked up at me and smiled, “I light another for the gift of family and that we are all safe, healthy and together again. That is all that is important to me.” This made me really think about not only what religion meant to her but what it meant for me. Through my ignorance I believed that religion was simply going through the motions and doing my duty as a Catholic but to her it was and is much more than that. It is a lifestyle choice but whether or not she chose it is irrelevant. Religion is apart of her now it is who she is. It defines her just as much as her English ancestry, if not more. She considers her family a gift from God, a community that will always be there for her. She holds to these simple traditions, these fragile moments in time together because that is what she gets out of her religion and her beliefs the most, the gift of family. 

2 comments:

  1. The weekly ritual of lighting a candle for your grandfather is a very interesting practice. I've never heard of anyone doing that. It's more common to see those types of rituals as yearly to pay respects to a family member that has passed on. Another interesting action of your grandmother's was how she slapped the priest on the wrist because of the church's opposition to LGBTQ rights. That's very admirable because I feel the Catholic church is one of the strongest groups opposed to LGBTQ rights; especially the older members of the church. Is it possible that even Catholic churches are in the beginning stages of breaking down these barriers of being opposed to social rights for those in the LGBTQ community? Also do you guys think it's more of a common practice for people to live by these spiritualized and unwritten laws among themselves and God or do most people try to solely abide by written laws in the sacred text they choose to follow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the issue of LGBTQ rights is indeed slowly becoming more accepted in the Catholic Church. Just last week I was talking to my grandmother about it and she said that her priest finally started talking about equality. This is most likely due to the new Pope and his stance on equality. Followers are opening their minds to the possibility and though it will take many years the truth is starting to be know. To your second question I believe it depends solely on the person in question. Many still follow the old text and consider the writing sacred but the generation gap is also creating a gap in ideals and I feel there will be a continued new wave of spiritualized thinking rather than blindly following scared text.

    ReplyDelete